Monday, January 9, 2012

Frosted Flake Chicken.

Last night, my husband and I were discussing what to make for dinner. We didn't want anything too complicated or heavy, we were just hungry. We settled on breaded chicken strips.
While he began cutting the chicken breasts into strips, I began to grab the ingredients to bread them. I had just purchased whole wheat flour at my favorite little market, so I got that out. But I noticed we were out of eggs. Oh, and bread crumbs.

Um... how do I make breaded chicken without eggs or bread crumbs...?

Since I'm so innovative and smart [envision my bulging eye balls] I decided to switch it up a bit. Instead of eggs, I chose to use extra virgin olive oil as my "glue." Instead of bread crumbs, I crushed up the last 2 cups of Frosted Flakes that were in the cereal box in the cabinet.

And there, my friends, a STAR was born! Without further delay...

FROSTED FLAKE CHICKEN

Ingredients:
• 2 or 3 chicken breasts (thawed)
• 1 cup. whole wheat flour (a wee bit healthier than white flour)
• 3 TBSP. extra virgin olive oil
• 2 cups Frosted Flake cereal (crushed)
• Cooling rack
• Cookie sheet

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut chicken breasts into strips about 1 to 2 inches thick
3. Set up a breading station using 2 paper plates and a regular dinner plate. Put the flour on a paper plate, the olive oil on a dinner plate and the frosted flakes on a paper plate.
4. Place the cooling rack on the cookie sheet. Spray the rack with non-stick spray (I will say, this is a must. I actually did not use any spray, and the strips ended up sticking a bit to the rack when we pulled them off to eat. Which is such a waste of yummy frosted flake goodness!)
5. Roll each strip in the flour until thinly coated, then in the olive oil, then roll in the flakes to coat thoroughly.
6. Place each strip on the cooling rack.
7. Bake strips for about 22-25 minutes or until the frosted flakes are golden brown (or to your liking).
8. Remove from oven and let cool.
9. EAT 'EM UP! - Great with bbq sauce for dipping :)


These were a real crowd pleaser (well, a crowd of two) because the sweetness of the flakes and the hearty chicken just meshed so well. We also think this would be good on a whole chicken breast or even on pork chops!

And, now to introduce the Mike Meter! Because we all know, if the husband (or the kids, for some of you) doesn't like it, chances are it won't see your kitchen ever again.


Yep! Mike gave it a huge 10! He even said to me while eating them "Ang, these are reeeeally good!" I'm so proud! Mostly because I just threw them together with what we had in stock.

We will definitely be making these again soon!

Happy cooking!


15 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the blogging world! I've missed your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahahahahahah I love the Mike Meter!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, everyone! I'm having fun working on the next posts and what to share on here! Hope you continue to read.

    And MIke loves the Mike Meter, too! Mostly his idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live chicken done this way!!!! I used frosted flakes once when I was out of crackers. Love the mike meter :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im new and flipping through your blog (sent by pinterest and the pvc hairdryer/ flatiron doo dad) and I use crushed up honey bunches of oats, then drizzle them in honey before baking. Egg for the glue. Foil the pan before you go squirting honey everywhere because cleaning it up is AWFUL. Throw foil out. Swear at chicken for adding SECOND layer of honey (don't do. Makes cereal soggy and disgusting.) Nom Nom Nom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE that the PVC pipe pin has sent so many readers my way! Welcome, Kristina!

      Honey sound delicious! I will have to try that. We buy local honey and I am always looking for recipes to use it in.

      Thanks so much for reading. I hope you subscribe! =)

      Delete
  6. Was going to make fried chicken for dinner tonight but was out of breadcrumbs. Happened to do a google search for frosted flakes chicken and found your recipe - YUM! This came out absolutely delicious! You saved me a trip to the store :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!!! We love making chicken this way! I'm so happy you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  7. Your blog was a life saver! I like to make baked buffalo (boneless, skinless) chicken breasts breaded with Cool Ranch Doritos...well, forgot to grab some at the store and didn't know what else I could use. Then your recipe came rushing in to save the day! I have Frosted Flakes and I'm sure the Texas Pete Buffalo Wing sauce I use will take out some of the sweetness for a nice blend. I am going to make them tonight and I'm sure they will turn out fabulous and no one will be the wiser. lol Thank You!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it has been almost a year, but I had to tell you it turned out delicious! We no longer use Doritos for breading, we have converted to Frosted Flakes. Everyone loves the hint of sweetness mixed with the buffalo wing sauce. They fight over the pieces stuck to the pan! lol Thank you SO much again!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello, thanks for the recipe. May i stir-fry them in a pan on the stove-top to achieve faster results and get them cooked faster? thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I read every comment, so thank you for taking the time to leave one.