Sunday, January 15, 2012

Chicken Lo Mein.

I love stir fry. I love Chinese food.

My favorite restaurant BY FAR is Flat Top Grill. YUM. YUM. YUM.

Slight problem... lo mein and stir fry in a restaurant is expensive. In our house, we have developed our own stir fry recipe. I will tell you that Mike and I have been making stir fry for a couple years now, so technically this isn't something "new" to us (see my first post about trying new things) but the NEW thing here are the noodles. We usually use Birds Eye Asian Medley that has just veggies, no lo mein noodles. However, while at Kroger's I found the Kroger brand stir-fry with noodles. I thought that sounded delightful! So basically, without the noodles, it's just chicken stir-fry. With the lo mein noodles it's chicken lo mein. Either way [spoiler alert] it's delicious!

Chicken Lo Mein (or stir fry)

What you'll need:
• 2-3 chicken breasts (thawed)
• 3/4 to 1 cup of teriyaki sauce
• frozen veggy mix, lo mein noodles optional (I recommend something with pea pods, water chesnuts, carrots, mushrooms and/or brocolli)


1. Start by slicing your chicken into small bite-sized pieces. Put some oil in a skillet (or a wok), turn heat to Medium High to heat pan. Add chicken.

2. Once the chicken is cooked thoroughly, add the teriyaki sauce. Add enough sauce to coat the chicken and then some more since you'll be adding in some veggies that will need to soak up that flavor, too. Let the sauce fuse into the chicken (about 5 minutes).


3. Add the veggies.


4. Let cook on High for a few minutes until everything is heated through.


5. EAT IT! ENJOY IT!


I absolutely loved this. It tastes almost like chicken lo mein from my favorite Chinese restaurant. Mike's opinion was "It's better than I thought it would be. I wasn't a big fan of the peppers, but overall it tasted pretty good."


We will for sure be making this again, but next time we might try a different veggy mix without the peppers, so that the husband is happy.

Some variations that I can think of:
• Use fresh cut vegetables instead of frozen - we do frozen since this is a time-saving recipe
• Marinate the chicken prior to slicing and cooking
• Cook your own spaghetti noodles and add to the mix when you add the veggies

If you have some suggestions, I'd love to hear them. 

Happy cooking!

2 comments:

Thank you for reading. I read every comment, so thank you for taking the time to leave one.