ICE CREAM IN A BAG!
Basically all you need is:
• a bunch of ice
• 2 Ziploc bags (one sandwich size and one gallon size, both with zip seals)
• 1 cup half and half or light cream (I actually used whipping cream)
• 2 TBSP of sugar
• 1/2 tsp. vanilla
• 1/2 cup of salt
And here is how to do it!
1. Mix the sugar, half & half and vanilla extract together. Pour that into the sandwich sized bag - make sure it seals tightly!
2. Fill the gallon-sized bag halfway with ice and pour the salt over the ice.
3. Put the cream filled bag inside the ice filled bag and seal the larger one shut.
4. Get to shaking, baby! Shake (or flop back and forth) for about 5 minutes. Shake for 8 minutes if you use heavy cream or whipping cream.
Here's a video of my getting lazy while shaking. Dude, 8 minutes is a long time, and you don't realize it until about 1 minute into the job!
5. Once it's finished, the ice cream will be hard. If not, continue shaking a little longer.
6. Remove the ice cream bag from the larger bag, and quickly run it under cold water (still sealed of course) to quickly clean the salt off the bag.
7. Open the baggie and pop in a spoon.
8. Or if you're like me, plop that ice cream into a mug and add root beer, then enjoy!
Happy ice cream making!