Thursday, November 22, 2012

Broccoli Salad.

Happy Thanksgiving! 

This year I am especially thankful to have my family surrounding me. Mike and I have had a rough last few months and today I get to spend some time with my loves and eat good turkey! My grandparents who usually travel back and forth from Texas are here this year and Grandma is making turkey like it should be! 

She designated me as the broccoli salad maker for today. Little did she know I've never made broccoli salad... until NOW! 

Is broccoli salad REALLY salad?!

Like a typical person with too many cookbooks to list, I resorted to Google. I always forget I have those things in my kitchen! I typed in "broccoli salad recipe" and allrecipes.com was there to greet me. I found this simple broccoli salad recipe and printed it immediately. 

Fresh Broccoli "Salad"

2 heads fresh broccoli
1 red onion
1/2 pound bacon
3/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup sliced almonds
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar


Step 1. Cook the bacon, don't burn yourself with the grease, and let it all cool. Crumble it into pieces! This part is fun except for getting greasy fingers. Yuck. 

Step 2. Cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces. Add it to a bowl with the bacon. Next, cut the onion into thin bite-size slices mince the onion and add it to the bowl. Who are we kidding? Bite sized onion?? Yowzas. Especially since I used white onion, not red. I love my family, enough not to torture them =)

Step 3. Skip the nuts. This is important if you have a brother-in-law-to-be who has a nut allergy. Like I said, I love my family. Don't want to kill them.

Step 4. Throw in the raisins. 



Step 5. Prepare the dressing by combining the mayo, sugar and [nasty smelling] white wine vinegar until smooth. 


Step 6. Pour that goo all over the bowl of "salad" and stir it all together until everyone is happy. 


Step 7. Transfer the "salad" to a prettier bowl (this is an optional step that I added), let it chill out, cool off, and think about what it's done! 


Oh, and then serve it to your lovely family and smile. The smile is the most important part. If you frown, your family will think something is up. And nothing's up. 


Happy Turkey Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I read every comment, so thank you for taking the time to leave one.