Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Crock Pot Chili.

Last weekend, I had some friends over. Everyone was bringing side dishes and I was supposed to make the main dish. I wanted to make something simple and I wanted everyone's bellies to love me. I immediately referenced my Pinterest board named In the kitchen. I have collected SO MANY recipes that I want to make some day (and most likely post on here) but have yet to try. This was my chance! 

Since I work during the day, and the ladies were going to be showing up around 6 p.m., I had to find a recipe that was either super quick or could be made in the crock pot. That's when I remembered finding a chili recipe that looked both simple and delicious. 

And that is what I made. 


Ingredients:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz can of tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cayenne pepper
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 2 cans pre-cooked pinto beans




Steps:
1. In a large skillet, cook diced onions until soft and fragrant.
2. Add ground beef, breaking up large chunks and cook until browned. Remove from heat.
3. Transfer meat and onions to slow cooker.
4. Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir.


5. Add diced peppers, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Stir well.
6. Season with salt/pepper to taste.
7. Set slow cooker to “high” and cook for about 4 hours.
8. After 4 hours, stir your chili to re-incorporate released/caramelized juices.
9. Drain beans and add them to the pot. Cook for another hour.


10. Serve hot, with sour cream, grated cheddar and/or corn bread.

____________________________________


Great news! The majority of the women agreed that it was delicious. Some of us found it a bit spicy, but we ate it up regardless because it was so good.


Some things that I adjusted:


* In order to cut down on the prep time in the morning, I chopped the onion, green pepper and red pepper the night before and put them in a Ziplock bag in the frig.



• I browned the hamburger alone and added in the chopped onions and peppers to it. They didn't get to caramelized like the recipe calls for, so that is probably the reason for how spicy it was.


* I used Hot Shot instead of Cayenne Pepper (can you imagine if I had used cayenne, how spicy it would have been THEN?)


* I put the pot on LOW heat for 8 hours (before I left for work) instead of HIGH for 4 hours.


* I forgot to set out the sour cream or cheddar cheese. (I was so bummed about this)


____________________________________


Even though this was for the ladies, Mike didn't have to miss out on this! He had some leftover chili Sunday for lunch. 

His verdict... a 6.


His comments were "It tasted like Taco Bell's chilito when I added cheese to it." My response was "So, is that a good thing?" And he said "Yea. It reminded me of middle school." I'll take that! And he said "It was a little too peppery (referring to the green/red peppers, not the black pepper) and the meat wasn't chunky enough." I'll work on it for next time :)

What have you made in your Crock Pot lately?

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I read every comment, so thank you for taking the time to leave one.