Sunday, August 18, 2013

Vintage-ize a t-shirt?

If you Google or Pinterest search how to brine a t-shirt or give a shirt a vintage or worn-in feel, you'll find thousands of recipes. This has been something I've wanted to try for a long time. Then I did. And I wasn't impressed.


I followed the basic steps after first picking out which shirt I wanted to, in my terms "soften" and I got down to it!


1. Combine the salt and water.


2. Wad up the shirt and put it in the salt water mixture.


3. Let the shirt brine for 3 days.


4. Remove from mixture, wash and dry like normal.

Like I said, I wasn't impressed. My shirt felt the same, not softer, not more vintage-like. Nothing different. Soon I'm hoping to try this recipe from Men's Health. It calls for a couple different ingredients and steps, so I'm hoping for the best!

But just for fun, I thought I'd share this chart with you. Apparently, this is something most people learn in elementary school. I must have missed this day because I had never seen this before a friend of mine taught it to me. I needed it because I only had cup/ounce measuring tools and this recipe called for a quart.


You can see that 2 cups are in a pint, 2 pints are in a quart and 4 quarts are in a gallon. So for 1 quart of water, I needed 4 cups! Ha! Does everyone know about this nifty diagram?

Happy brining! (if you can find a process that works for you)

6 comments:

  1. Why don't you throw the shirt back into the dirty laundry after you get it out of the dryer? Then wash it again. Repeat. Times twenty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the natural way to get a worn in look, but this method is supposed to accelerate the process... Ya know? I'm disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making that chart! Thanks! Finally putting my graphic design degree to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanks for this post! I tried this recently and can backup your experience that it does not work at all. Did you end up trying the Men's Health recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now day, everything is going to find a new but well settled and successful stream for their career. When I came to this blog, I really impressed by all the knowledge points mentioned here. Thank you for this assistance.
    t shirt

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I read every comment, so thank you for taking the time to leave one.