Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Helicopter, helicopter over my head.

I've flown in an airplane more times than I can count. Trips to and from Texas, Florida, New York, California... Hawaii! But I've never ridden in a helicopter. When I was about 10 years old, I got to take a ride in a small plane that my great uncle piloted. That's about as small as I've been in.

While in South Carolina on vacation with my husband, we decided to go on a helicopter ride. The last time we were there I begged and begged to do it, but he wasn't so sure. This time, he came mentally prepared to do it since he knew it meant a lot to me.

It was a beautiful day for a helicopter ride!


I was a little nervous at first. I mean, you never know if you'll be the next "freak accident" that nobody sees coming. We booked our flight online (which got us preference when we arrived) and drove to the Huffman Helicopters site.


My stomach was in knots as we walked into the office to check in. I was watching the promo tv screens in the lobby (and in the BATHROOM!) while Mike paid. Then they weighed us. Oy... I had to remind myself the extra poundage was due to it being mid-day and wearing clothes and having just eaten lunch... yea, right, that's it! Not the endless seafood buffets and wine every evening on vacation...

Either way, we both were deemed not too fat to ride and we were taxied to the landing pad.


We climbed in and I instantly started taking pictures! Our pilot's name was Brandon.


He was very gentle with us. We got to wear the head sets so he could talk to us and we could talk to each other.



Then we took off! It was weird, the feeling of the helicopter's stability. I felt safe, but I felt like I could fall out of the sky at any second.


We got to see a great view of the Myrtle Beach coastline.


It was so much fun!!


I am very happy that I got the opportunity to take the ride. It was something I've always wanted to do. I love this 2012 journey of Trying New Things. I'm expanding my skills and interests.

Coming up next... Hiking Kings Mountain in South Carolina on our last day of vacation!

1 comment:

Thank you for reading. I read every comment, so thank you for taking the time to leave one.